Hello visitor! A note about the contents of this wiki: Barotrauma is a game with several years' worth history as a free-download open source game, and this wiki has been written primarily based on this legacy version. As such, not all content is relevant to the Steam release. So please wait patiently as the contents are updated, and feel free to contribute new information once the Steam version of Barotrauma is released!
|This article is currently lacking images.
You can help the Barotrauma Wiki by adding some.
The Charybdis is a Europan creature that can only spawn in high difficulty missions.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Charybdis resembles a massive eyeless octopus, with many, bizzarrely shaped fins and tentacles and a forward-facing jaw with sharp red teeth. It also has longer tentacles to serve as rudimentary tails. The Charybdis features grey and pale-red coloration, with darker vertical strips running along the back. There are a group of large veins heading down from the head to the base of the neck. The body and tentacles possess a very rough, leathery texture, sparcely dotted by shiny scales, especially on the face and on the larger tentacles.
According to the Legacy version of Barotrauma, the Charybdis can naturally be found in the Abyss.
In-game[edit | edit source]
The Charybdis is unusually quick for it's size, and is extremely bulky to boot (with higher Health than the Moloch, albeit lacking Armor). Since it's health and damage are so high it's highly advised to not engage a Charybdis, and to try to evade it if possible. Fighting a Charybdis on open sea is a death sentence for many daring crews, their bite can kill humans in a single hit by Bleeding, but they are notorious for being extremely efficient at tearing the Submarine's hull. The Charybdis can also use some of it's tentacles to slap divers trying to dodge it's dangerous maw.
Despite the creature's apparent blindness, mechanically it does possess the ability of sight, albeit slightly weaker than some creatures. If you suspect a Charybdis lies ahead, it may be wise to turn all sonars to passive in an attempt to sneak by, or to lure it away with a Decoy.
There's no reason (besides survival) to fight a Charybdis, as they will never appear as mission objectives, and unlike the smaller critters, the Charybdis drops no loot.
Damage Values[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The creature possessing a sense of sight despite having no eyes is most likely justified as it being able to sense vibrations in the waves.
- In Greek mythology, Charybdis is the name of a sea monster able to summon deadly whirlpools by swallowing large amounts of water.
- The Charybdis has the least sound files of any creature, with only one.
- The design of the Charybdis underwent a radical change during the transition into the Steam release. It previously resembled an upside-down Whale.
- The legacy variant of the Charybdis can be spawned by the use of Commands or through the Character Editor, see Charybdis (Legacy)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]